04/11/2017

Schwartzwald &c.



The story goes that my great uncle used to carry the receipt for his Voigtländer Vito BL with him when he and my great aunt travelled to Europe on extended cycling tours. The camera was originally purchased in 1959 or 60, in Germany, and the first time he brought it back into the UK he had to pay import duty on it. On subsequent trips he would take the receipt to prove to UK customs that he'd owned it for years, and that he didn't need to pay duty again. Sadly the receipt is lost without trace, but I'm lucky enough to have inherited the camera itself. Nearly 60 years after it was originally purchased, I took it with me on holiday to Freiburg in Southern Germany, taking in bits of the Black Forest and the Alsace, in August this year, and shot a roll of Portra 400.

No comments:

Post a Comment